I recently had the opportunity to speak at a church about How to Become a Spiritual Leader in the 21st Century, and why you should care…
So here’s the “why” followed by 12 things I believe 21st century leaders should be doing…
In a nutshell, because the Kingdom of God is at stake. According to churchleadership.org over 4,000 churches close each year while only 1,000 new churches are started. Every year 2.7 million church members fall into inactivity. Then depending who you talk to, many believe that one our of every 4-6 Sundays a month is now considered regular church attendance.
12 “Should’s” that I believe could help us become better Spiritual Leaders in the 21st Century. Your mileage may vary.
- Should be of good character.
- Should be willing to adapt.
- Should be a team player.
- Should understand Matthew 18 as it relates to conflict resolution.
- Should become a student of church growth.
- Should be in tune with their community.
- Should be moving toward tithing and beyond.
- Should take their church partnership (membership) vows seriously.
- Should make worship invitation part of their DNA.
- Should be loyal to Christ and their church.
- Should never talk business before worship to staff or pastor.
- Should become Aarons to your pastor and staff.
Again, your mileage may vary. Add to my list or take away. Either way I believe it’s a great start to becoming better spiritual leaders in the 21st century.
You got this!