The problem? Fading in your spiritual growth and blaming others! Yup – I said it. As a minister I see this all the time. Many seem to place unrealistic expectations on the church for their spiritual growth. When these unrealistic expectations aren’t met they begin to fade – attend less and less in many areas of church life – especially in worship.
The solution? Simply take responsibility for your own spiritual growth. I recently read that there are no bad teams but only bad team leaders. In a spiritual sense you are the leader and the church is the team, so to speak. While there are pockets where this isn’t true, almost all churches offer multiple ways to assist you in growing spiritually. If, you take the mature responsibility of using them.
It’s my belief that the more involved in your church you become, the less likely you’re going to fade in your spiritual growth and worship attendance.
At the church I currently serve, we have at least 4 areas that we deem important. It’s my belief that getting involved in as many of these as possible is crucial to stop any potential fade in the future…
- Worship –
- Making a commitment to be physically in worship each Sunday
- Become enthusiastic/excited about worship
- Get into Worship
- Sing out loud using your outside voice
- Growth Track
- Starting Point 101 – Church history, past, present and future. Sacraments, Mission/Vision, what it means to be a disciple, Christianity as a lifestyle, etc…
- Essentials 201 – Spiritual growth assessment. This helps you gauge potential areas in your spiritual growth that you might want to enhance. No one sees the assessment but you! Then, suggestions are offered to assist you in those areas.
- Discovery 301 – Spiritual gifts assessment. Discover your spiritual gifts then learn where you might use them by serving both inside and outside the church.
- Life Groups
- Meet with people that will become some of your best friends ever!
- Meet at various times and places.
- These groups hold you accountable for our spiritual growth and service.
- Serve inside the church
- Serve outside the church
It’s my belief that when you become actively involved in the life of your church (past just attending worship) you lessen the likelihood of the dreaded fade. Because otherwise, you’re probably going to fade, maybe it takes a year, 3 years, 5 years, but you’re more than likely going to experience the fade.
I want to encourage you to take responsibility of your own spiritual growth. Most churches like ours offer a plethora of opportunities to choose from. Get involved, take responsibility, make your Christian faith a lifestyle! Call your church today and register for something they have to assist you in your spiritual growth, get involved, serve, so you avoid the fade!
You got this!